21 June 2024 | 0800 – 1200 | Gold Coast | 4 CPD HRS
This workshop’s content is considered essential knowledge for any nurse working in the areas of ward telemetry, coronary care, critical care and emergency nursing.
It also applies to the ward nurse wanting to upskill their knowledge of interpreting arrhythmias. Understanding the ‘famous five’ basics of ECG interpretation will significantly aid the nurse in recognising any deviation from the normal.
Midwives are also encouraged to attend this workshop as it will address the presentation of a condition called SCAD that can occur in the post-partum period with no traditional risk factors.
This short workshop emphasises how to interpret a myocardial infarction on a 12-lead ECG. Without other information taking away from this essential skill.
Applicable for the nurse who only wants to upskill or learn to accurately and quickly how to recognise a myocardial infarction.
This workshop will explore how early diagnosis leads to timely treatment and reperfusion of the occluded coronary artery.
Seminar Learning Outcomes
At this workshop, you will:
- Describe how to work out the essential parameters: PR interval, QRS width, QT interval and relate this to the ‘famous five’ technique of rapid interpretation
- Identify the two most common myocardial infarctions: anterior and inferior
- Understand the significance of new Q waves and ST elevation on a 12 lead ECG
- Explain the significance of performing a 12 lead ECG on a woman with chest pain in the post-partum period
You will learn
- How to recognise an acute myocardial infarction on a 12 lead ECG
- How to quickly analyse a rhythm strip using the ‘famous five’ analysis hints
- How to differential between ST elevation, ST depression and T wave inversion
- Recognise how angina presents on a 12 lead ECG
- Demonstrate how to interpret on a 12 lead ECG an acute anterior or inferior STEMI in three steps
- Demonstrate how to perform a 12 lead ECG accurately
R.N., BHlthSc, MACCCN, Grad.Dip Ed, MEd, Dip Counselling, GradCertCritCare, CertIV Training and Assessment, CertIV in Mediation
Anne has a passion for teaching which she does in an unpretentious way that ensures you will not only understand and retain what she presents but will enjoy this learning experience. She has extensive experience of over 26 years lecturing for Gold Coast Health District and Griffith University.
Anne is a frequent presenter at workshops, conferences & seminars throughout Australia & New Zealand on subjects such as high dependency nursing, cardiac arrhythmias & ECG interpretation, chest x-rays interpretation, clinical assessment of the deteriorating patient, assertion training and leadership. She conducts accredited advanced life support training for nurses, doctors and paramedics.
Anne has a passion for teaching which she does in an unpretentious way that ensures you will not only understand and retain what she presents but will enjoy this learning experience. She has extensive experience of over 26 years of lecturing for Gold Coast Health District and Griffith University.
Anne is a frequent presenter at workshops, conferences and seminars throughout Australia and New Zealand on subjects such as high dependency nursing, cardiac arrhythmias & ECG interpretation, chest x-ray interpretation, clinical assessment of the deteriorating patient, assertiveness training and leadership. She conducts accredited advanced life support training for nurses, doctors and paramedics.
Anne has a passionate commitment to empower all clinical staff through increased awareness and knowledge of the critically ill patient’s condition so that timely intervention is implemented, which will benefit patient outcomes.
She is the author of three books; “ECGs Simply”, “Interpretation of Chest X-rays Simply” and ‘Uncomplicating Life, Simply’. Her ECG book is a textbook sold in many universities in Australia.
0800 – 1200
- Interpretation of the Foundations of Sinus Rhythm
- Interpretation of a 12- Lead ECG: Recognition of a Myocardial Infarction
- Interpretation of a 12-Lead ECG: Recognition of a Myocardial Infarction using the Three-Step Method
Our affiliation with ACN provides you with the opportunity to grow your career and tap into your individual potential.
The course was easy to follow due to the presenters clear passion for her subject. It was paced perfectly and every aspect was interesting and relevant. It has given me more confidence to begin to properly analyse why we are monitoring our patients and given me a good foundation to begin interpreting the rhythms. The presenter [Anne] is easily the best thing about the event, and the infectious passion for the subject.
Anne made ECG’s understandable. Excellent conference. I feel empowered with the ability to confidently read ECG’s and GP’s to review patients immediately if required. Thank you.
The fear and uncertainty of reading ECGs and telemetry is something I don’t need to feel anymore now I have the confidence to apply Anne’s Famous 5 step process to interpret heart rhythms. If you feel anxious when faced with an ECG or telemetry monitor then this course will change all that!